[X-Newbies] First time LAN

Tony Johansen tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au
Mon Oct 10 09:09:02 PDT 2005

I need some advice please. I have cable broadband connected to an eMac
(about 18 months old)

I wish to connect my wife's graphite iMac running OS 9.2 and an old Hewlett
Packard Vectra VE running Windows 2000. Both so they can all access the
cable, but also to swap files if that is possible from the computers being
linked. I presume the router will have a new IP address, or am I wrong on
that one?

The most economical way I can figure is with a NetGear RP614  4-port router
and ethernet cable. It is half the cost of Airport.

I need to know if the old iMac will be a problem, (or the HP for that matter
- I can do without the PC, but the iMac must be part of any network) and any
other potential problems I should watch for.

I have never tried this before so it is scary:-)

Tony
http://www.tonyjohansen.com
A Life In Art