[X-Newbies] web design software info

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Mon Oct 10 09:53:57 PDT 2005

On Oct 10, 2005, at 12:28 PM, Tony Johansen wrote:

> On 11/10/2005 1:52 AM, "Richard ramsowr" <r.ramsowr at sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>> While I do like the fressness of freeway (what ever
>> that means) its cost is a issue to a guy in startup
>> mode. I came to Radipweaver because of it new pending
>> release and it price was in the ballpark. Both seen to
>> be user friendly.
>
> You could look at it from this point of view. There is the difficult
> and
> long learning time Dreamweaver and Flash. They do everything, but they
> require understanding that takes a while to acquire.
>
> Easier, not quite as powerful but still complex is GoLive
>
> Easier again is Freeway, and again not quite so powerful.
>
> Nvu comes about here, like Freeway relatively easy to use.
>
> Composer is the no-frills, no pretences, easiest of all to use.
>
> I would advise starting with an easier program and a good how to book.
> You
> are less likely to get lost and as time progresses get a more
> sophisticated
> program. Only you can know just how far you want to go in the end. And
> cost
> always needs to be justified by the amount of use you get out of
> something.

My wife wants to start working on a web site.  So as a casual newbie
watching this thread with interest, I noticed this following comment by
Richard, the original poster:  "What
ever I end up doing I don't want to come back a year
from now and have to redo the whole site."

Are you locked into the package you begin with?  Or is it easily
transparent to move from one design package to another?  In other
words, if you start with Composer or any other package, and then decide
to use another web designer, are you getting into complexities?

Al Poulin
Anger, hate, and revenge are for the devil, forgiveness is for God,
proactive self-defense is for the rest of us.