[X-Newbies] continual update and tweaking is good

Carter Tomassi carter at messyoptics.com
Mon Oct 10 12:53:06 PDT 2005

Tony,
What kinds of changes are the search engines looking for? For
instance, is an update notice at the bottom of a page enough (i.e.
"Last update: Oct. 11, 2005")? What about a main page change that
links to 100 sub-pages that do not change? Or how about adding an
additional page to the 100+ sub-pages?

Reason I ask, google's robot is hitting me nightly. I have over 100
pages with one photo per page. I change the text under some of the
photos periodically and put a new date at the bottom of the page, for
my own benefit. However, about 8 pages off the main index page have
not been updated in three years.

I have noticed a drop in readership over the past several months
although most of the site was revised between July and Sept. Several
outside sites have links to my site which I know is a good thing. And
Google is still a main source of traffic to my site.

Thanks,
Carter
http://www.messyoptics.com/