[X-Newbies] Re: the sbc yahoo blues at @sbcglobal.net...

Philip J Robar pjrobar at areyoureallythatstupid.org
Fri Oct 28 07:30:30 PDT 2005

On Oct 28, 2005, at 6:09 AM, Richard ramsowr wrote:

> sorry, I  wasn't clearer on the subject - anyway my
> DSL provider is SBC and I find myself using their mail
> program which they call "SBC Yahoo Mail"- one of those
> thing where - when you sign up for their DSL service -
> one just kind of fall in to it.
>
> anyway wanted to tranfer (move) off of sbc and onto
> one of Apple's offerings  I currently have both
> Apple's .Mac and of course OS X's Mail - not even sure
> what the differents is between the two.
>
> I guess I just tired of have some large corporation
> cramming somthing up my you know what. Maybe I'm nuts
> but I have always used an apple albeit some what new
> to OS X and I'm just tired of not having the full
> experence. Hell if I could find a way to do way with
> the sbc thing completely I would but sbc is sbc and I'm
> down here in Houston and not back in San Francisco
> anymore - what can I say

It appears that part of your issue is that you don't understand the
difference between a mail server or service such as Apple's .Mac or
SBC/Yahoo and a mail client such as Apple's "Mail" application. So
let's see if we can clear that up.

Mail being sent to you ends up at a mail server such as Apple's .Mac
or your ISP's - SBC/Yahoo in your case. To read your mail you start a
client, an application local to your computer such as Apple's "Mail"
or Eudora, it connects to the servers you've told it about, and your
mail is downloaded to your machine and may or may not be left on the
server - depending on the features of the server and your client's
settings.

Sending mail works in the opposite direction. You compose the message
in your client, which then connects to your service provider's
server, and that server then sends your message to the appropriate
place.

SBC/Yahoo doesn't have a mail "program" that I know of. They provide
a mail service/server that you can access either via a web page or
the email client of your choice. Are you currently accessing your SBC
email via a web page and not aware that you can get to it from
whatever client you might want to use?

For me or Charles or someone else to help you we need to know how
you're currently accessing your SBC email. Once we know that we can
advise you as to the pros/cons of storing mail in your local client
or a server, how to move mail from one server to another (which may
or may not be easy depending on the destination), and how to have new
mail coming into one server be automatically forwarded to another
either directly by the receiving server or possibly by your mail client.

As I asked above, I suspect that you're currently accessing your SBC
mail via their web page and that if you switch to using a mail
client, such as Apple's "Mail", your complaints about "not having the
full experience" will go away since their mail service is basically
like any other mail service.

If none of this is making any sense feel free to contact me directly
and we can arrange to talk via telephone or something like Skype or
iChat.

Phil