[X-Newbies] about mail

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Thu Sep 1 12:38:11 PDT 2005

On Sep 1, 2005, at 2:24 PM, Al Poulin wrote:

> Yes, that is what I do once in a while.  But I have another Mail
> quibble.  When I reply to any mail, the original mail window just
> disappears.  Then to continue reading a list mail in digest mode, I
> have to go back to the Inbox to reopen it.  And I sometimes have to
> something in the way I deleted portions of the quoted text.  I did
> not have to do that in Outlook Express with OS 9.
>
> Any way to keep that original mail window open?

It seems like you're reading mail with an unusual window
configuration. The only way to have a message disappear upon reply is
to have opened that message in its own window. I think Mail is built
around the assumption that you would typically view the text of
messages in the lower "body" pane below the "message list" pane. That
way, when you reply to a message, a new window is opened for
composing the reply, but the original message is still visible in the
primary Mail window.

SR