[X-Newbies] Re: a query on permissions+

Cornett cornett at gol.com
Mon Sep 5 18:08:32 PDT 2005

John, Listas All
G'day and I appreciate the input bunches, am agin' hopin'
for a lil' more, on the below...

x-newbies-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com wrote:
> Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:33:57 -0400
> From: John McGibney
> Subject: Re: [X-Newbies] a query on permissions+
>
> On Aug 30, 2005, at 8:05 PM, Cornett wrote:
snip
> > If'n I've indeed messed up the permissions, would it be a good
> > move to c-key boot from the install disk, repair permissions
> > from there, reboot to HD and immediately run the permissions
> > repair again in hopes of fixing anything I've inadvertently and
> > sadly messed up??
Surely this will be a not the best way to go, and definitely not the
way as shown on any of Randy Singer's OSX maintenance pages,
but it's not at all clear if the second repair move above will or
won't re-correct for the state of the now currently installed items
(which are all unknown to the booted from OSX install disk's DU
parametres) once rebooted to HD and running DU from there on
itself, as is hoped. Any ideas on this??
> > Is there a uRL link available and handy for a list of whatever/all
> > the OSX System needs to have it's permissions set to for use??
Am still hoping for a point to for the above, there's just got to
be one out there somewhere, right?
snip
> The StuffIt updater doesn't update the application, it stays at 9.1
> It updates other files that StuffIt uses to do its thing.
Ok, now I've got it, and so am guessing that the current build#
of 877 is the updated version of 9.0.1, could someone Please
confirm this??
> IE may have a corrupt file or may need a reinstall.
I've since, rethought on M$ stuff being used and have decided
that it might be best to continue as I have in the past and do
without, and so have happily trashed the IE .app, as I picked
up on the free giveaway of Opera's S/N gift and installed it
to find that if needed it will cloak itself as IEv6(iirc) , but
now I would very much like to remove all/any bits and pieces
of IE leftover other than just the .app itself, so where would
I look for them and/or what terms specifically should I search
in Find(Sherlock?) for on my HD??
> Boot from the Install CD and run disk repair, it sounds like
> something on the drive is messed up, not just permissions.
Looks like the next move I'll need to take, just hopin' for a
lil' more insight on the question posed above first.
> If that doesn't work download and run the 10.3.9 combo updater.
> Sometimes the sequential updaters miss an important file. The combo
> updaters have everything that needs to be updated.
I've got it DL'd and ready to go, if'n the above won't work. Now,
does anyone have any idea how the X.3.9 Combo Update will
treat the fact that Delocalizer has already been run?, and if I'll
need to re-run it again after the update is completed and a DU
permission repair is done?

Any/All advice, suggestions, ideas are very welcomed and will
be very much appreciated. TIA

Respectful of GURUs
Bill Cornett
cornettATgolDOTcom