[X-Newbies] Dialup services

Scott scott-xlists at scotist.com
Thu Sep 22 20:33:12 PDT 2005

On Sep 22, 2005, at 1:15 PM, Steven Rogers wrote:

> Anyone have any experience with Netzero or one of the other non-AOL
> national providers?  I upgraded my parents from OS 9 to OS X 10.4 a
> few days ago, and I wanted to set them free from the AOL client,
> but its not easy.  The local ISP in their area seems pretty bad, so
> I'm looking for some other alternative.
>
> My concern is that Netzero, Juno, PeoplePC, etc all seem to have
> some kind of client that you must use to connect instead of the
> Internet Connect panel. I'm hoping that's the extent of it - just a
> dialer, but not a full blown client that wants to own the browser
> and mail experience. Anyone know any details about this?  The
> details of how it actually works are not clear on the web site.

Must it be a free (or dirtcheap) provider? Earthlink's dial-up is
roughly the same cost as AOL, even a dollar or two cheaper. They DO
support Macs. They may have a CD/software as well, though you don't
need it. All you need is a dialup number, username, and password.

Then there are the self-proclaimed Mac-friendly ISPs. These are
probably your best bet. http://www.macconnect.com/ is 21.95 for
unlimited dial-up access, and claims 6000 local dial-up numbers.
There are a few others, but I've forgotten which ones.

I'll have to agree with Jane, but more emphatically - any ISP which
requires installing their own client is Just Plain Evil™.

--
Scott Buntin