[X-Newbies] Dialup services

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Fri Sep 23 07:56:28 PDT 2005

On Sep 23, 2005, at 12:12 AM, Steven Rogers wrote:

>> • The same 56K dial-up with TurboMac Acceleration, for surfing up
>> to six times faster, as low as $7.41 per month
>>

> So what the heck would this be? Can they really make the modem go
> any faster than its already going?

I don't know if it was this service or another, but basically what
they do in compress everything before it is sent over the modem. You
have to have their software installed to do the decompression on your
side. Since the compression algorithm can compress data up to 6 fold,
you get up to 6x faster downloads. Note the words "up to". I don't
know what an average increase in speed would be.

-Mike