[X-Newbies] Dialup services

Scott scott-xlists at scotist.com
Fri Sep 23 15:02:33 PDT 2005

On Sep 22, 2005, at 10:12 PM, Steven Rogers wrote:

> On Sep 22, 2005, at 11:56 PM, Randy B.Singer wrote:
>

>> Surf the Internet on Your Favorite Mac for Even Less With
>> FasterMac.net . . .
>>

> This actually looks pretty good - thanks for the pointer . . .
>

>> • The same 56K dial-up with TurboMac Acceleration, for surfing up
>> to six times faster, as low as $7.41 per month
>>

> So what the heck would this be? Can they really make the modem go
> any faster than its already going?

They basically compress the data. Text will go faster, jpgs and mp3s
will download at about the same speed. I do not know whether they use
client software for this, or if they're flipping a switch on the
server side that takes advantage of compression features built in to
the client-side modem.

--
Scott Buntin