[X-Newbies] Blog or Genealogy software that is worth recomending?

Tony Johansen tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au
Tue Sep 27 21:43:05 PDT 2005

On 28/9/2005 1:58 AM, "Al Poulin" <alpoulin at cox.net> wrote:

> On Sep 27, 2005, at 10:07 AM, Brian Durant wrote:
>
>> Hi again,
>>
>> I was wondering if anyone knows of any blog

Depends on the level of sophistication you require and whether you want free
or to pay. Here are one free, and two that cost money, but like most things
there are benefits in paying more for some things. With TypePad 'hosting'
which you still have to pay for even with some 'free' (although not Blogger)
programs is included.

For free there is Blogger.com Personally I think free is about the right
price for what they offer compared to the pay-for options.

                     http://www.blogger.com/start

MovableType is recommendable as a top level program that allows you the
flexibility to do virtually anything blog-wise. From memory I think
expertise, or at least a working knowledge of PHP Perl is necessary. Very
suitable for larger business and educational application as well as
personal. They call it a publishing platform.

                    http://www.sixapart.com/movabletype/

I myself have 18 blogs operating on a pro account with TypePad. I can
recommend them. It is a simplified platform that is derived from MovableType
but it is much faster to set up and work with multiple blogs. The level of
sophistication is incredible, and for personal and semi-professional
situations I would consider it better than MovableType. Their URL is

                    http://www.sixapart.com/typepad/

Using TypePad I have developed a community of linked blogs examples of which
are these few which show TypePad abilities. You will notice easy photo
albums, flexible sidebar lists, and general 'quality' look compared to many
blogs. They also do well in search engines, and I was pleased to discover
with the new Google Blog search that several of them come in at number one
for their keywords:

                     http://kingscross.blogs.com/academy

                     http://kingscross.blogs.com/bourbon

                     http://kingscross.blogs.com/art

                     http://kingscross.blogs.com/librarian

                     http://kingscross.blogs.com/archibald

                     http://kingscross.blogs.com/crypts

                     http://kingscross.blogs.com/photolicious

Good luck with your blogging as well as the genealogy

Tony
http://www.tonyjohansen.com
A Life In Art