[X-Newbies] Media Player replacement for Windows Media Player.

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Mon Apr 24 19:18:27 PDT 2006

On Apr 24, 2006, at 10:59 AM, Shawn King wrote:

> On 4/24/06 9:01 AM, "Brian Durant" <globetrotterdk at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Are there any replacements out there that can handle these sites? I
>> am using
>> Firefox 1.5.0.1 for my web browser.
>
> http://www.flip4mac.com

Should I download the free version of Real Player 10?  Any downsides to
using it?

OK, I finally flipped for Flip4Mac 2.0.2 this afternoon.  I am running
Panther OS X 10.3.9.  I just finished updating to QuickTime 7.0.4,
Safari 1.3.2, and Security Update 2006-002.  Ran Repair Permissions
from Disk Utility on the same hard drive and ran the maintenance
scripts from OnyX.

This resolved some minor display problems I had with the Macworld web
site.  But I still have problems at this web site:

http://www.asco.org/

It has arrangements of "virtual meetings" which are the record of
multi-media presentations given at conferences or symposiums.

http://www.asco.org/portal/site/ASCO/
menuitem.64cfbd0f85cb37b2eda2be0aee37a01d/?
vgnextoid=09f8201eb61a7010VgnVCM100000ed730ad1RCRD&vmview=vm_session_pre
sentations_view&index=y&confID=42&trackID=1&sessionID=2

Some sessions are available in video or slides format.  But in
selecting a video format, the web site reports the following:

Note: You do not appear to have the Windows Media Player installed.

  Note: You do not appear to have the Real Player installed.

The site apparently does not recognize Flip4Mac.  I do not have Real
Player installed.  A minimal Real Player 10 is available for free
download, and the SuperPass version is for a 14 day free trial before
subscription for $13 a month.

Reading into the free version, I see it may want to take over the
QuickTime functions.  If I install Real Player, how do I know that
Safari will behave with QuickTime and call Real Player only when
absolutely necessary?

Many Thanks,

Al Poulin