[X-Newbies] New HD weirdness? Mail problem too

Mark Taintor markwt at mac.com
Fri Aug 11 22:24:20 PDT 2006

I just installed a new hard drive in my G4/533/10.2.8. Don't know if
this makes any difference or not: the new drive is set to the slave
position, but I have it set to be the startup drive. I made a clone of
my original drive using Superduper. Everything seems to be fine, except
for the fact that when I click on an item in the dock to open a new
program, it opens with an additional icon down at the "far" end of the
dock and the little black triangle that's under open programs is under
the new additional icon rather than the original icon that
"permanently" resides in the dock. Any idea what's going on and how to
change it back?

Now for the Mail issue: About a week ago (before installing the new
hard drive) my darling 16 year old daughter decided it would be good to
put a bunch of her CD's onto the computer so she could play them in
iTunes. At the time I only had about 3 gig's of free space left on my
40 GB hard drive. She came to me and said: "Dad, the computer says that
it's out of space. What should I do?" I deleted the new music and
restarted the computer. Everything seemed OK except that since then,
the action of the junk mail folder has changed. It used to be that
after I quit Mail, anything that was in the junk mail folder was
automatically deleted. Now, the junk mail stays in the folder until I
delete it myself. Is there a setting somewhere that will put it back to
the "Delete after quitting" status? I've checked the rules for what to
do with junk mail, but I don't see a setting for doing what it used to
do. Any help for this problem?
Thanks very much.
Mark

Mark Taintor