[X-Newbies] take my G5 to France?

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Fri Dec 1 21:49:11 PST 2006

Carole Wessel said:

>Instead of buying the adapter, do you think I can just buy the cable
>with the three round prong in France?

You don't need a "cable."  You only need a plug adapter such as the one
that I gave you a link for.  You can use your standard power cable.

You said that you will want to be using your computer immediately when
you arrive in France.  So, you probably don't want to have to go hunting
for the proper adapter in France.  While they are available, don't forget
that the entire country doesn't cater to tourists.  You have to go to the
right places to find an adapter.  You can probably find one in the
airport, but instead of paying $2 you might end up paying $22 in the
airport.

>Will this work for the Apple
>display as well?

Your Apple display plugs into your Mac and uses its power supply, so if
your Mac is happy your display should be happy.

>However, I am concerned about the internal modem (did not think of it
>before you mentioned it).
>I am going to have a DSL in France. Does it mean that I can't have an
>ethernet cable going from my G5 to an external modem with my "American"
>internal modem, like I do it now with Verizon?

When you are connected via DSL, you aren't using your internal modem at
all, only your external DSL modem.  What your DSL modem needs to be
compatible with French DSL, I really can't say.  I can only imagine that
since DSL uses the same phone lines as an analog modem in the U.S., that
you will need the same French phone adapter for DSL as you use for an
analog modem.  See:

<http://www.voltageconverters.com/itemdesc.asp?CartId={EDEVERESTE5FF2C-3138
-4948-A4E4-0EBAF96356B4}&ic=KXNFR001>

Randy B. Singer

Co-Author of:
The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th and 6th editions)

OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html