[X-Newbies] External hard drive

Tony Johansen tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au
Sun Dec 17 12:40:42 PST 2006

On 18/12/2006 3:34 AM, "Robert Green" <greenrw at shaw.ca> wrote:

> I am running out of space on my G4 emac and am looking for an
> external hard drive. My machine currently has 75 GB and is running
> 10.4.8. Does anyone know anything about the 250GB  apple firewire/usb
> drives sold by Afterthemac on ebay that sell for about $100.00. Any
> suggestions, recommendations.
> Thanks.

You get what you pay for with most things, but that matters more with some
things than others. The difference between a cheap pair of jeans that goes
to holes in 6 months as opposed to good Levi's that last for years is not
all that important.

However a hard drive that fails early and takes your hard work and important
memories with it can be heart breaking. You may end up spending 2 to 4
hundred dollars with a data retrieval company. It can be expensive.

If you must get a budget priced HD, consider one from a top line
manufacturer. For example La Cie has a range called 'Porshe' that seem to be
cheaper than their premium range, but still gives more confidence than the
very cheapest HD on the market.

Tony
http://www.tonyjohansen.com
A Life Of Art