[X-Newbies] Slow, slow, slow computing

R.C.Dickins rcdickins at networksplus.net
Thu Feb 16 11:40:47 PST 2006

Hi,

I am a desperate newcomer to this list. I live in a small midwestern
city of 135,000, where Macs are not sold and where I know only one
other Mac user. Not only are Mac users rare, but conversations
concerning Macs are even more rare. Consequently, I apologize if you
have heard my problems before. If so, however, I am also hoping that
you will know a lot of solutions and I hope that's so. I have a home
business of putting out documents and newsletters and need to keep my
computer going.

I have a Power Macintosh G3 which runs on a 266 MHz processor and has
576MB of memory. The hard disk is divided into the following sections:

Mac OSX 10.2.8 with 6.8GB (1.3 GB Free)
Mac Storage with 43.6 GB (41.7 GB Free)
Mac OS 9.2 with 6.8 GB (5.6 GB Free)

When I am in Mac OSX, the computer seems to run more slowly every day.
Mail and Word for Mac are particularly slow and I sometimes lose Word
when I am working on charts. A check with Norton Disk Doctor does not
reveal any problems and only light fragmentation.

Could it help to move things to Mac Storage to give more room to OSX?
What kinds of things can I move?

Thanks for any thoughts you may have.

Muddled in the Midwest