[X-Newbies] Re: MAC VIRUS

SaulBro at aol.com SaulBro at aol.com
Sat Feb 18 17:52:46 PST 2006

Coincident to this thread on OS X viruses, I have a related problem.   For a
few months, on my OS9.1 machine(PowerCenter 150/G3) I noticed an extension
named "[space] 666".    Fearing I had inadvertantly renamed a good extension, I
did not remove it.   I recently read on another list that this extension
indicates the presence of the Sevendust virus:    see <
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/mac-sevendust.html>.

I removed the extension;   it kept reappearing so I searched the HD for
invisible files using File Buddy, and found some unknown prefs which I
removed...this prevented the 666 extension from reappearing.   I then ran Norton AV 7 on
the HD and recently-used removeable disks, and it found various apps infected
with Sevendust A/B, which it repaired.    Looks like everything's fine now.

However...now for the more on-topic part:     I found the 666 extension in
the Classic System Folder on my iMac G4 15in. Flat Panel(10.4.3), probably due
to my having shared infected zip disks.    I succeeded in removing the
extension and preventing its reappearance(I   think).    My question:     If I boot
into Classic and run Norton AV 7 on the HD, will it be harmful to OS X files or
any system resources?    As an X-newbie, I just want to check with you all
before running this old Norton AV.   Thanks for your feedback!

Saul Broudy
Philadelphia, PA   USA