[X-Newbies] Lost Disc / iPhoto library

Tony Johansen tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au
Thu Jan 12 02:54:00 PST 2006

Emergency problem here, one of my external drives accidentally was
disconnected while doing some other work. I got a box stating that the disc
had not been dismounted correctly.

Upon reconnection 5 of the 6 partitions remounted on the desktop, the 6th
did not appear at all. And guess what, its the one with the iPhoto library
on it. All 7,000 photos.

Looked in Disc Utility and can see the 'lost' partition, I verified the disc
and it came up as being ok. So I unmounted it then tried to unmount the
other partitions.

Here it gets weird, one of the mounted partitions cannot now be unmounted.
When attempting to do so a box appears saying it is in use and to quit
applications. There are no applications open. However I discovered on the
desktop a folder with the same name as the partition that won't unmount. I
can't get rid of that folder, it will not delete and if I try to move it
'into' the partition it becomes an alias and the original still sits on the
desk top

So I have one partition that won't unmount, and one that won't mount.

Any suggestions?

Tony
http://www.tonyjohansen.com
A Life Of Art