[X-Newbies] Lost Disc / iPhoto library

Tony Johansen tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au
Thu Jan 12 11:16:51 PST 2006

On 13/1/2006 5:10 AM, "Al Poulin" <alpoulin at cox.net> wrote:

> On Jan 12, 2006, at 11:50 AM, Tony Johansen wrote:

>>> I would try DiskWarrior on it.  And maybe TechToolsPro.
>>>

>>  Thank you for coming to the rescue. Regarding using DiscWarrior:
>> how? Not
>> used them, but am prepared to buy Disc Warrior if there is a reasonable
>> chance of success.
>
> Tony:
>
> When you said earlier that you verified the disk, I assumed you ran
> First Aid with the Repair Disk button, using Disk Utility from your
> startup drive (and not starting up from the external drive with the
> problem).  But looking at your message again leaves two questions.  If
> you worked only with the Verify Disk or the Verify Disk Permissions
> button, try the Repair Disk button.  And if you worked only with the
> 'lost' partition, work with the entire disk at the level above the
> partitions.  I suspect a directory at the main level of the disk needs
> attention.
> So, after making sure you have done everything you can with Disk
> Utility, then go to DiskWarrior.
> Al Poulin

I solved one of the problems (unmounting one of the partitions that had an
extraneous folder)

I have run repair disk in Disk Utilities and it says that all 6 partitions
appear to be ok. I have repaired both the entire disk and the problem
partition only.

Disk Utility appears to see the problem partition as being mounted, although
the icon for that partition is only a sheet of paper rather than the yellow
hard drive icon that all the other partitions appear as. It says there are
67,000 file there, more than 10 GB (all my iPhotos)  Nothing of that
partition appears on the desktop.

With luck this is saveable Perhaps DiskWarrior will see tomorrow in business
hours if the local Apple store sells it. But if Disk Utility can't see it,
why would DiskWarrior?

Tony
http://www.tonyjohansen.com
A Life Of Art