[X-Newbies] Re: software updating

david_elmo david_elmo at optusnet.com.au
Tue Jan 17 17:22:22 PST 2006

I just used software update on my QS 933 to get latest on Tiger, just
the Mac OS update, about 28 MB. It said to restart or shut down
afterwards. I said ok restart. QS went off as usual and then on but
just froze screen with that Xish icon at the centre, no spinning
mouse curser or anything no matter moving the mouse. I had to switch
off at the power! (What else can one do ? On my old 7300 I had escape
keys and power buttons.). Anyway, restarting did not help. I held
option down and picked to start in 9 and it did but had to check/
repair the 9 volume as it had noticed it had not been shut down
properly. At least the machine noticed something!

I simply chose my X vol in startup control panel and restarted and
this time it fired up in reasonably short order. There is no proper
message about "your new update has been loaded or is being... " then
or before.

Last time I updated Tiger (a whopping overnight download on dial up!)
it restarted fine allbeit taking its time. I take it that no cursor
and no sound from the tower for minutes on end (I reckon 10) meant it
was frozen? Iam talking after the download is all over and I am
trying to restart...

Anyone else experience trouble of this kind in online updates? Any
safer ways of doing it? Maybe i should have chosen "shut down" from
the two options given when the download was complete (from the
software update facility)? Why exactly is there not a third option
like "do this later"? Why can't one _not_ drop one's dialup and
continue working and next time one restarts, the software will do its
embedding? Why is the download in such a hurry? Will the machine
definitely forget to load the new if it does not hurry?

Excuse me. I now feel a bit better. But still puzzled.

David Elmo