[X-Newbies] Printer, Network?'s

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Fri Jan 20 12:22:00 PST 2006

It would be good to know what machines you have.  Anything older than a
G3 running that OS 8.6?  In some cases, folks have to use an older
machine and OS as the print server.  The G5/Tiger cannot deal with the
oldest Macs.

Looks like you want Printer Sharing, similar to File Sharing.

I am taking the liberty of sending you a long thread that I recently
archived from another list.  Subject line is:  G-List -  OS 9 to OS X
File Sharing.  Near the end is a detailed discussion of using a bridge,
just a control panel I think, for printing.

At any rate, you might see some clues to your quest.

On Jan 18, 2006, at 3:22 PM, K. Lalemand wrote:

> Ok folks. I have a good one for you.
>
> A Mac network, 5 Mac's, 3 OS X, 1 OS 9 and 1 OS 8.6
>
> I have a Apple Laserwriter II and a HP Laserwriter III, that I'd love
> to hook up to the network. I'd use these printers for doing mailing
> labels.
>
> First off, can it be done, so that ALL of the Mac's can see these
> printers, and if so, how or what do I need to do.
>
> Second, should I instead, consider buying a new laser printer that
> will work with the network that we have.
>
> The biggest concern is to be able to print from the G5 OS X 10.4.4 as
> this computer station, is where most labels are generated from.

Al Poulin
Anger, hate, and revenge are for the devil, forgiveness is for God,
proactive self-defense is for the rest of us.