[X-Newbies] Re: software updating

Charles Howse chowse at charter.net
Tue Jan 24 13:24:05 PST 2006

>> From: Al Poulin <alpoulin at cox.net>
>>
>> On Jan 17, 2006, at 8:22 PM, david_elmo wrote:
>>

>>> Anyone else experience trouble of this kind in online updates? Any
>>> safer ways of doing it?
>>
>> I feel safer downloading Apple's updates from their web site support
>> tab.  I like to see the whole package with a healthy looking icon
>> on my
>> desktop.  Then I can open it and read about any options and do the
>> update offline at my leisure some time later.  Also, I have the
>> package
>> on hand to archive for possible use later.
>>
>> You are on dial-up.  Noisy line?  Maybe a glitch in the signal during
>> your online download/update process.
>>
>> Al Poulin
>

> Yes, this is probably a good way to go. I have discovered since that
> one can save the update through the software update app, it is a menu
> item that I had not looked at. Update/Install and keep package, there
> is also a Download only option.

Excellent tip, David!

I've also discovered that you can ignore any update.
For example, I don't have an iPod, so I can choose to ignore iPod updates,
and will never be notified about them again.

FWIW, a very good source recommends that before installing any update, you
repair permissions, download the update, run it from the saved file, then
repair permissions again.
Note to self:  start doing it this way!