[X-Newbies] Error advice

Philip J Robar philip.robar at gmail.com
Sun Jun 25 03:15:10 PDT 2006

On Jun 25, 2006, at 2:02 AM, Keith Mills wrote:

> I am currently using  OS 10.3.3. When I bought this model the shop/
> Apple agents transferred my existing personal and business data
> onto the new machine for me. Mostly it works all right, but I
> cannot open some of the files.
>
> I get the message: An I/O error occurred.
>
> What does this mean? And is there anything that I can do?

First of all why aren't you running 10.3.9?

Second, have you tried Disk Utilitiy's First Aid? If not, boot into
safe mode - this will run First Aid as part of the start up process.
The advantage of doing this is that you don't have to boot off of
some other drive (First Aid can only check the boot drive, it can't
fix it.) and First Aid in Safe Mode does a more thorough job of
checking your disk than when run in Single or Multi User mode. After
you get into Safe Mode run First Aid again to see if you're OK or not.

See this Apple support article for details: http://
docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107393

See also the related articles at the bottom of this article.

If this doesn't fix your problem there are commercial programs you
should investigate such as Disk Warrior. A little Internet searching
will find others.

Phil
--
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do
nothing."