[X-Newbies] Mail Links Open Backup Safari

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Sat Mar 18 08:44:55 PST 2006

On Mar 18, 2006, at 10:59 AM, W Lane wrote:

> On 06-Mar-18, at 8:57 AM, Al Poulin wrote:
>
>>> Tiger is different (browser prefs are in Safari). If I recall, in
>>> Panther is there not System Pref for 'Internet', or something
>>> similar?
>>
>> Panther Safari does have browser preferences like in Tiger.  But
>> there is nothing there to deal with the problem.  I checked Panther
>> System Preferences, including Accounts, Network, and International,
>> and can find nothing there either.
>

> So, when you set the browser pref in Safari, did you make sure to
> choose the right copy, on the HD you want?  I don't understand the
> 'nothing there to deal with the problem' statement.

Thanks for trying to help.  I checked all buttons in Safari Preferences
(General, Appearance, Bookmarks, Tabs, AutoFill, Security, and
Advanced).  Nothing comes up like "right copy" or a choice of volumes
or hard drives to open links.  In "General" there is a choice of "Open
links from applications" either in a new window or in the current
window.

Now, to put a finer point on this.  The setting was for new window.  I
just now temporarily changed it to current window, used that, and then
put it back to new window.  In both settings with the Safari on the
main volume running, Mail links open up in that copy of Safari.  I was
wrong in my earlier description or things just changed.  But with
Safari not running, Mail links still open the Safari on my backup drive
instead of on the same volume that is running Mail.  That's the problem
which did not happen before the software upgrades.

Al Poulin