[X-Newbies] Backup strategy needed

W Lane wilann at telusplanet.net
Wed Mar 22 03:51:34 PST 2006

On 06-Mar-21, at 11:26 PM, Mark Taintor wrote:

> I have a G4/533 running 10.2.8. 1 gig ram.  It has a 40gig primary
> internal drive, a 13 gig internal drive, and a 160 gig external
> drive. I'm down to just over 3 gb of free space on the main
> internal drive and am getting nervous about the lack of free space.
> I have everything backed up onto the external drive using Superduper.
>
> What I'd like to do is to move my iPhoto and iTunes libraries to
> the external drive.

Can be done...

> This would free up about 20 gb and allow me to upgrade to Tiger. My
> concern is that I wouldn't then have a backup for my music and photos.

Which, of course, would be much less desirable

> Now onto my questions:
> 1. If I partitioned my external drive into several partitions, can
> one of the partitions serve as backup for another partition?

Absolutely not. A backup MUST be on a separate HD or media. If the
main HD fails, then it is the job of the backup HD to restore
everything. That cannot happen when the 'backup' is on the failed HD

> Is that a smart thing to do?

No

> 2. Would I be better off buying a larger internal drive and moving
> everything on my current 40 gig drive to something larger internally?

Bingo!

> 3. If I do go with another internal drive, what kind of drive
> should I be looking for?

Others will chime in with their favorites no doubt. Bear in mind that
your machine will 'see' only up to 128gig of HD space. In other
words, if you install a 250gig HD, it will work, but will appear as
128gig.