[X-Newbies] Taking Airport Express to different locations?

Scott scott-xlists at scotist.com
Fri Mar 24 01:13:51 PST 2006

On Mar 23, 2006, at 6:25 PM, Thomas McDermott Jr wrote:

> Good evening,
>    I am using my airport express at home to extend my airport extreme
> signal.  Was wondering if its possible to take my AE to a different
> location for a day and then bring it home without having to
> reconfigure
> it again for my home network?  My wireless access point at work is
> dead
> and need something for a couple of days until it gets
> replaced..figured..and hoping that the AE is the way to go in the
> short
> term.

You can only do a plug-in-without-config if your network at work uses
the same connection as your airport's upstream connection at home. If
you have cable or dsl which uses DHCP at home, and your work network
also uses DHCP, and also does not restrict access based on HW address
or other factors, it should work. If you use PPPoE to connect to your
ISP at home, you'll need to reconfigure your airport base station for
it to work at work.

Note also that many workplaces frown on adding your own access point
to their network. Quite plainly, it is a security risk. It can also
be a termination offense. For that reason alone, this is usually not
the way to go, even short term.

--
Scott Buntin