[X-Newbies] Retrieving data from PowerBook 1400.

John McGibney ncicchek at optonline.net
Tue May 30 13:32:09 PDT 2006

On May 30, 2006, at 2:33 PM, Brian Durant wrote:

> On 5/30/06, John McGibney <ncicchek at optonline.net> wrote:
>>
>> On May 30, 2006, at 1:37 PM, Brian Durant wrote:
>> >
>> > The second part, is with regards to Classic:
>> >
>> > 1) Can I just repartition and format my extra internal SATA
>> drive and
>> > install Classic on that drive even when I am using 10.4.6?
>> No need to, you can install it in the same partition.
>
> I have read someplace that it is best to install Classic on a
> separate HD

I run Classic off the same drive as my X on all my machines. No
problems.

>> > 2) Do I need an HFS or HFS+ partition?
>> No, classic runs alongside OS-X.
>
> And on a separate HD? HFS or HFS+

Only if you need to Start off the drive using 9 only then yes.
Otherwise it uses OS-X to access the drive.

>> > 3) Do I need to boot from the CD to install Classic?
>> No, the G5 won't boot from any version of 9 anyway. You may have to
>> drag and drop the System Folder from the CD to you Hard Drive so X
>> can install some necessary files for classic to launch. Then run the
>> installer.
>> Or...
>> Your original G5 CD/DVD might have a "Classic" installer on it that
>> will run in X.
>
> I was under the (mis)understanding that Classic needed to be installed
> from the (Tiger) CD/DVD (???)

Its easiest from there but not necessary. You can drag and drop
almost any OS-9 System folder and it will work after X installs the
necessary files upon first launch.

> Cheers,
>
> Brian

HTH
John

--
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food
groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. - Alex Levine