[X-Newbies]

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Sat Nov 4 10:47:46 PST 2006

On Nov 4, 2006, at 11:47 AM, Leah Aronoff wrote:

> Boy!  None of this sounds like Newbies talk to me.  It is
> incomprehensible to me. . . .

Yeah - that's why I said "MacPorts is another package system like
Fink" - for the purposes of this list, that's what it is.

Package systems are supposed to make installing and updating software
that comes from the developer community work like "magic", the way
Software Update works. For the user who wants it to just work without
understanding all the details, I think MacPorts will be slightly more
"magical" than Fink.

Most people won't have any reason to use a package system at all. But
if you're a "newbie" to OS X coming from Linux, or coming from a PC
programming background, the purpose of Fink/MacPorts would be clear.

SR