[X-Newbies] PDF files in a browser

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Mon Nov 13 11:48:22 PST 2006

On Nov 13, 2006, at 1:33 PM, Al Poulin wrote:

> What version OS are you on?  Is there a particular reason you want
> to use something else?

Yes! First, as far as I can tell, you can't save the PDF file from
Safari (at least its not straight forward). 95% of the time I click
on a pdf file, I want it downloaded and saved.

Second, IMO Safari is fine for very short (1-2 pages) documents, but
it just doesn't work well for larger ones, at least the way I use
them. First, I always have to zoom-in a couple times before anything
is legible, navigation is much more difficult, and there's no search.

So I'm looking for a way to have Safari just open them up in Preview
like it used to (or even Acrobat) instead of displaying them inline.
In old browsers there used to be a preference pane where you could
assign file types to specific applications. That's what's needed here
for pdf files.

After re-reading, I'm wondering if one of us misunderstood. I read
the OP as wanting Safari to behave as I described when you "browse"
to a pdf file on the web. You seem to be describing opening a local
file in a preferred app.

-Mike