[X-Newbies] PDF files in a browser

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Mon Nov 13 17:56:29 PST 2006

With the Safari Preference set to "Open 'safe' files...," when I press
on a link, the download is automatic and the top menu changes from
"Safari" to "Preview."  Is this what happens in your browser?  Or does
"Safari" remain in your top menu?  And does the Safari window then take
on the appearance of Adobe Reader?

The plot thickens.  I just made those pages open in Safari.  But I had
to go to an obscure preference in Adobe Reader 7.0.7 to make that
happen.  In AR Preferences, I went to the "Internet" Category and
checked the box for "Display PDF in browser using:  Adobe Reader
7.0.7."  Then I closed AR, closed Safari, relaunched Safari and then
went to the web page for the manuals.  After clicking on a manual's
link, Safari opened the .pdf file without downloading it.  The Safari
window took on the characteristics of AR, apparently using the Adobe
Reader plug-in.  The Adobe Reader application itself was not running.

My little story behind this is that after using Safari/Preview for a
year or so, some .pdf files from the web did not behave.  I downloaded
Adobe Reader 7.0.5 to work the files.  After that, Preview no longer
worked with Safari, to my endless frustration.  After a few months, I
remembered what happened in the old OS 8 and 9 days.  The old Acrobat
Reader always wanted to take over the computer, becoming the default
application for .pdf, but it had the courtesy to ask permission to do
this upon installation.  With the recent versions for OS X, Adobe
Reader does not ask!!  It just takes over as the default app -- until I
found that Internet Category preference and unchecked the box for using
AR.

Note, the setting for AR default does not change unless I close both
Safari and AR and then relaunch Safari.

Al Poulin