[X-Newbies] Re: Appleworks not responding

Scott scott-xlists at scotist.com
Sat Nov 18 16:53:37 PST 2006

On Nov 18, 2006, at 4:18 PM, Cornett wrote:

> On Nov 19, 2006, at 08:58 AM, x-newbies-
> request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com wrote:
>> Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 14:17:29 -0500
>> From: Al Poulin <alpoul
>>
>> Keith already has the full program on his e-Mac OS X 10.3.3 install
>> disk.  I suspect the version of AppleWorks on any OS 10.3 is the
>> latest, and he would not have to get any online update.
>>
>> But first, there is a way to pull AppleWorks all by itself off his
>> install disk.
>

> Just my .02cents here, but a trip over to versiontracker.com and
> a quick search for 'Pacifist' , just might be what's needed to
> pull the .pkg off the install disk, install, and then just apply
> updaters to v6.2.9, and then don't forget to repair priviliges(sp)
> with DU. HTHs

Appleworks is not part of the 10.3 (or any 10.x) retail distribution.
It is available either as a separate purchase, or as a bundled
application on some consumer-level Macs (iMac, eMac, Mini, and
iBook). It is no longer bundled with current Macs.

For bundled systems, it is usually found in a dmg file in a hidden
folder on the restore disk, and can be installed by drag/dropping
into Applications. Some folders may need to be dropped into /Library
as well. It can also be installed by the aforementioned utility. On
some install/restore discs, it is known as "install Bundled Software
Only". See <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301408>
under the section entitled "Reinstall some (but not all) bundled
applications without erasing the Mac OS X volume".

If using the version from older restore disk sets, there are other
hoops that can be jumped through to avoid erasing the drive.

--
Scott