[X-Newbies] DiskWarrior recovery help.

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Mon Nov 20 10:43:11 PST 2006

On Nov 20, 2006, at 12:14 PM, Brian Durant wrote:

> ' sudo mount -o umask=000 hfsplus /dev/sdb3 /mnt/osx' returns a prompt
> about the usage of the 'mount' command.

you need "-t hfsplus" not just hfsplus by itself - like

sudo mount -o umask=000 -t hfsplus /dev/sdb3 /mnt/osx

Without -t, it doesn't make sense. And probably it would prefer it like:

sudo mount /dev/sdb3 /mnt/osx -o umask=000 -t hfsplus

rather than with switches at the beginning.

> I tried adding: /dev/sdb3	/mnt/osx	hfsplus,noauto,user,rw 0 0 to
> /etc/fstab and then ran the command 'sudo mount /mnt/osx' which
> returned: "[mntent]: warning: no final newline at the end of
> /etc/fstab"

put a blank line at the end of fstab. It's just one of those things -
like when the recording comes on that says "you have to dial a 1
before this number". If the system knows you need to dial a 1 (or
have a newline at the end) then why doesn't it just *do* it, instead
of telling me about it?  Who knows.

> I am actually wondering if hfsplus is hamstrung by Ubuntu on purpose
> for some reason, so that it is only read-only all of the time.

possibly, but I kind of doubt it.

SR