[X-Newbies] Re: Your message to X-Newbies awaits moderator approval

Robert Ameeti Robert at Ameeti.net
Tue Nov 21 10:47:35 PST 2006

At 10:27 AM -0600, 11/21/06, Steven Rogers wrote:

>Right, but pointing that out is a convenient way to avoid addressing
>whether a 5k limit better serves newbie X users than say a 20k or
>50k. Or why 5k should be enough to sustain a normal on-topic
>discussion.

I just peeked at my list server and the 20 messages that are waiting
to go out are all 8K on hard drive space (due to an old hard drive
and its minimum file size) but the real sizes of the messages are:

5 @ 1K
3 @ 2K
6 @ 3K
4 @ 4K

Larger file sizes are allowed but given that all of the current
messages are under 5K and I have no complaints from any of my listees
tells me that if I were to have a 5K limit, it wouldn't be apparently
impact many users. If I can satisfy my listees with a 5K limit (which
I haven't bothered to have), then so be it. Larger messages may
impact others more than they impact you.

>unless the list is really about teaching people how to post the
>"right" way, and not about helping OS X newbies.

Sometimes helping newbies is showing them the right way to do things
including how to post to a list. Where else do you expect them to
learn proper list etiquette?
--

Robert Ameeti

An authority is somebody who can tell you more about something than you really care to know.