[X-Newbies] Re: Appleworks not responding

Cornett cornett at gol.com
Wed Nov 22 13:39:24 PST 2006

Keith, Al, et All
G'day! and sorry for the delay..too many irons in the fire...

On Nov 22, 2006, at 02:49 AM,
x-newbies-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com wrote:
> Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 16:32:31 +0100
> From: Keith Mills
> Subject: Re: [X-Newbies] Re: Appleworks not responding
> To: "A place to novice users Mac OS X."
> 	<x-newbies at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>
snip
> I have found "Pacifist" but not yet downloaded it. I take they will
> want my $20 before I can use it. I take that my Instal disk will have
> to be in for it to work.
Of course, the unit's install disk in your optical drive is needed...;-)
For your purposes, it should work fine and dandy in Demo mode, altho
a lil' reading of it's documentation prior to it's use is dutifully
suggestable, and seeing your .fr addy I notice that French may be
needed (luckily) all in both English and French is to be found at:
<http://www.charlessoft.com/Pacifist_Documentation/Documentation.html>
and if Pacifist has done it's job well for you, dutiful payment of it's
shareware fee to charlessoft should be in order as a proper Mac user.

>>> don't forget to repair priviliges(sp)
>>> with DU. HTHs
> Please explain the above.
With the exception of the path to Disk Utility (being = HD >
Applications >
Utilities > Disk Utility) all has been kindly explained very well by Al
and I believe a few others.

> If someone can explain what I need to do in ABC terms, I shall be so
> grateful.
I forget know your version of OSX (Tiger?) , but on the original disks
that came with the Mac (either: Jaguar or Panther) you'll have the
Applworks package, and with it's path already discussed, simply insert
the disk and then startup Pacifist and show it to the disk and follow
the path to the file (.pkg) and let it be pulled from the disk to your
desktop, when that's completed quit Pacifist. By now, you should've
already Repaired Permissions, so a doubleclick on the Appleworks.pkg
should start the Install application, so let it do it's job, and
assuming you've Admin rights you will probably need to supply your
password for the install to continue, and after it has finished
restart your Mac and Repair Permissions once again, now a trip to:
<http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/appleworksformacosx.html>
and download of the correct updater (per your language used) to your
desktop with subsequint doubleclick install, and once more again a
Logout/Login or restart completed and then Repair Permissions done,
should have you back at a useable v6.2.9 Appleworks.

The ABC's are purty much easy and common logic stepped patterns,
but reading of ReadMes and all connected Documents is a must and
highly recommendable, and by doing so will more than likely save
you lotz of time and possible heartache. Goodluck!, and do let us
know how your adventure has faired in the end.
HTHs

Respectful of GURUs
Bill Cornett
"Rust never sleeps."-N. Young