[X-Newbies] Searching problem?

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Mon Oct 9 21:14:42 PDT 2006

Gen Hadlow Mac Impact Dbn said:

>iBook 1Ghz with 10.4.7
>I changed to a larger internal hard drive and now find that if I search for
>files that I have not opened recently - the search facility will not find
>them.

Many folks recommend that if you do a major update of the OS, or make any
other sort of major change, that you rebuild the Spotlight database.

To do this, Open System Preferences, choose the Spotlight panel, click on
the Privacy tab, and drag your main drive's icon into the Privacy window.
 Now highlight your hard drive's icon within the Privacy window and
click on the "-" (that is, the minus button in the Privacy Window).

Or you could highlight the hard drive icon in the Privacy window and hit
the delete key.

This will cause the Spotlight database to be deleted and automatically
rebuilt. (You won't be able to use Spotlight while its database is being
rebuilt.).

After doing this, leave your Mac on (and not asleep) for 24 hours and
allow Spotlight to index your entire drive uninterrupted.

Randy B. Singer

MACINTOSH OS X ROUTINE MAINTENANCE
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html