[X-Newbies] Computer icon on desktop.

Scott scott-xlists at scotist.com
Wed Oct 11 19:14:52 PDT 2006

On Oct 11, 2006, at 2:06 PM, Brian Durant wrote:

> OK, thanks. It is weird that Apple somehow could leave this and
> virtual desktops when OS X is based on BSD and both are found in Linux
> as well. Apple first plans to implement virtual desktops in Leopard,
> but that is a step too far for me as I still want my Classic.

Wow. Lots of incorrect assumptions in this thread. You can roll your
own "Computer" icon on the desktop - it'll take a bit of scripting.

Open /Applications/AppleScript/Script Editor, and paste in the
following script. Save it on the desktop with the name "computer", in
the save dialog set the type to  'application', check the 'run only'
box and uncheck the 'startup screen' box.

   I am assuming that in this case, you want the finder sidebar
closed, because the volumes listed therein are redundant in the
Finder's "Computer" view. If you still want the sidebar, try it
without the "set sidebar" line.

You can also change the icon to something more appropriate. There's a
set including a decent G5 icon here - http://www.mbstuart.com/
nonflash/icons.php .

If this works, please send two cookies and a beer via paypal.

--
Scott Buntin

tell application "Finder"
	activate
	make new Finder window
	set target of Finder window 1 to computer container
	set sidebar width of Finder window 1 to 0
	set toolbar visible of Finder window 1 to true
end tell