[X-Newbies] Re: Computer Icon on Desktop

Raymond P Reedy popreedy at comcast.net
Thu Oct 12 06:01:29 PDT 2006

>>> Anyone know of a way to add a computer icon to the OS X desktop? I
>>> have checked both Finder and System prefs with no luck. I am using
>>> Tiger 10.4.8 on a G5 single.
>
> Yeah - it won't let me make aliases of those things. Its pretty close
> to what you get if you do Go => Computer from the finder menu. But I
> can't get it to make aliases of those top level items in the desktop.
> If you could alias that, it would be pretty close to double-click a
> "Computer" icon. As it is, you have to do an extra step to get there.

I am able to make aliases of these icons...

1. In Finder Preferences check all of the 'Show these items'

2. On the desktop create a new folder. Call it Drives, or anything
you want.

3. Do a CMD-L on each of the drives that you want to include.

4. Drag each of these aliases into your new  'Drives'  folder.

5. Then uncheck the items in Finder Preferences. That leaves your
'Drives' folder.

6. Find a good looking icon to copy over the generic 'Drives' folder
icon.

Ray

Raymond P Reedy
popreedy at comcast.net