[X-Newbies] Re: Home Folder Name

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Wed Oct 18 19:26:51 PDT 2006

> From: Al Poulin <alpoulin at cox.net>
>
> It appears that I can change the name of my home folder in the Users
> folder.  Is this safe to do?  Or would this cause problems with
> passwords or in networking with other Macs?

Let me put it this way, Al -- we make A LOT of money at our Mac
repair shop straightening the damage out when people do this.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES MUST YOU ***EVER*** CHANGE THE NAME OF YOUR
HOME FOLDER!!!

It is a HUGE flaw that Apple lets (admin) users do this. It WILL
cause BIG problems with both directory structure and bootability even
if you only "change it right back."

The procedure to actually change your "short user name" (which is
what you are doing when you rename your Home folder) is incredibly
complicated and UNIX-y. Luckily someone wrote a simple Applescript
that does the work for you and works VERY well.

You can find it, called ChangeShortUserName, at macupdate.com. If you
MUST change your short user name, that is the ONLY way I can recommend.

Cheers
Chas

ps. sorry this is such a late reply, Al ... two near-simultaneous
deaths in the family have me catching up.