[X-Newbies] how to seamlessly use added hard drive

Robert MacLeay robertmacleay at mac.com
Sun Sep 10 00:01:16 PDT 2006

Not all G4 Macs support cable select; I do not know the cutoff model.

A further complication is that not all _cables_ support cable select, even
when the drives and host adapters do support it.  Most that do are
80-conductor, and will have pin 28 on only one of the connectors actually
attached to the cable.  While the current standards say end connector should
be the master, not all early cables followed them.

When the instructions don't work, ignore them; you could try setting the
jumpers on the two drives to master and slave.