[X-Newbies] how to seamlessly use added hard drive

Chris Beamis beamis at drizzle.com
Sun Sep 10 15:24:15 PDT 2006

It's a Seagate, and I tried putting it on the end of the line with
jumpers at Master, but no joy, so I set it back to Cable Select.
What finally worked was to boot off the new big drive with it in the
middle position and the other drive not installed, set boot drive to
CD, open CD drive and insert install CD, boot off the CD and set boot
drive to the big drive, reboot.  First tried running with only the
new big drive on the end of the line, and now I'm running off the new
big one at the end of the line and the old small soon to be wiped one
in the middle position.

Thanks for all the help to everyone.

I'm going to look it up but just in case anyone would like to
contribute any free advice :), any recommendations for securely
wiping the old disk, with ones, zeros, randoms, repeatedly?

Thanks  again,
Chris

On Sep 10, 2006, at 1:17 PM, Philip J Robar wrote:

> On Sep 10, 2006, at 12:01 AM, Robert MacLeay wrote:
>
>> Not all G4 Macs support cable select; I do not know the cutoff model.
>
> Even though Apple only documents using jumpers, my AGP G4
> (Sawtooth) works fine with cable select. I think my B&W G3
> (Yosemite) also does, but I haven't played with it in a while.
>
>> A further complication is that not all _cables_ support cable
>> select, even
>> when the drives and host adapters do support it. Most that do are
>> 80-conductor,
>
> While I don't have access to the official ANSI standards, based on
> what I've read elsewhere I'm pretty sure that the standard says
> that all ATA 80 wire cables must implement cable select. All Macs
> from the Yosemite on have shipped with 80 wire cables
>
>> and will have pin 28 on only one of the connectors actually attached
>> to the cable. While the current standards say end connector should
>> be the master, not all early cables followed them.
>
> If the cable is an 80 wire ATA cable it must be the end connector.
>
>> When the instructions don't work, ignore them; you could try
>> setting the
>> jumpers on the two drives to master and slave.
>
> Jumpers should always override cable select.
>
>> On 9/9/06 11:41 PM, "Chris Beamis" <beamis at drizzle.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Okay, I now have near success. Got SuperDuper, copied the boot drive
>>> over to the new big drive and made it the boot drive, and now in the
>>> Finder window it says 319GB free whereas before it said 3.1GB free.
>>> So I'm using the new drive. The only problem I'm having is that I
>>> can't seem to move the new drive to the end of the data cable. When
>>> I put it there the machine won't boot, but if I leave it in the
>>> slave
>>> connector (position #2) it will boot with or without the other drive