[X-Newbies] WMP v9.0 Streaming

Robert MacLeay robertmacleay at mac.com
Sat Apr 7 13:38:27 PDT 2007

I have done some research and found out how to play these files.

The answer is not pretty, but it works on my iMac with 10.4.9 and flip4Mac
and VLC Media Player installed.

VLC Media Player can be accessed via

Do this:
1) In Safari, Control-click on the file you want to download.
    Select "Download linked file."
2) drag this file onto the icon for VLC Media Player.
    The file should play.

Alternate strategy:
2) open this file in a text editor (I drag the file onto TextEdit).
    You will see a handful of lines like this:
     <asx version = "3.0">
       <title>2007-03-27 AM New Hampshire House of Representatives</title>
       <entry>
         <ref href =
"mms://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/assetmgr/2007-03-27am.wmv"/>
         <ref href = "mms://EAGLE/assetmgr/2007-03-27am.wmv"/>
       </entry>
     </asx>

3) Copy the first item in quotes (don't copy the quotes themselves).
4) Launch VLC Media Player and choose "Open Network..." from the File menu.
5) Paste the URL you copied into the new window (replace "udp://") and click
OK.   The file should play.

I applaud the state of New Hampshire for offering this service, but, really,
they need to upgrade their software infrastructure.  Their web pages are
created using MS Front Page 4.0!!