[X-Newbies] Hard Drive backup

Paul Simpson psimpson_1 at msn.com
Fri Dec 7 15:28:24 PST 2007

First, let me thank you all for the help you've given me so far. I just
inherited a 400mhz Power PC with a MAC OS X Panther Ver 10.3.9 Operating
System and am attempting to back it up so that I can completely recover
everything if needed - that includes the Op Sys, all applications, files,
settings, etc. I need to do this because I have no access to any of the Op
Sys, programs, settings, etc. because the person who we inherited it from is
gone. Also, I know nothing about the MAC but have worked in data processing
all my life with responsibility for large data centers running large
mainframes and Windows PC networks - during my last 20 years in management
prior to retirement.

As of now I have purchased an Seagate external hard drive which is
advertised as being MAC compatable. I have erased its NTFS format and
reformatted it to MAC OS Extended Journaled and am now ready to back up.
Based on prior questions to the group it appears that SuperDuper will meet
my needs. BUT based on my experience backing up Windows PCs, I'm wondering
if there is anything else I need to do other then to simply backup the MAC
hard drive to the external? For example, should I create a "Boot disc" and,
if so, how do I create it? And once backed up when the MAC hard drive fails,
will recovery simply be a reload to the replacement drive and will the
recovery bring me right back to where I was before the failure? Since I
haven't attempted to aquire SuperDuper yet possibly their instructions will
answer all those questions but I thought I'd bounce them off you all before
I commited.

Again, any help will be appreciated.