[X-Newbies] Re: Printer Recommendation

John McGibney ncicchek at optonline.net
Fri Feb 23 17:57:50 PST 2007

On Feb 23, 2007, at 1:39 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

> On Feb 23, 2007, at 7:34 AM, Charles Martin wrote:
>
>> With regret, I'd have to advise you AWAY from HP printers/AIOs at
>> the moment.
>>
>> This is not due to the quality of their printers, which are fine
>> -- it's due entirely to the buginess of their OS X driver
>> software, which is intrusive and unstable as well as a poorly-
>> written port from their PC software.
>
> This has been the case since the release of OS X.   See:
>
> http://www.macattorney.com/tutorial.html
> Item #2
>
> Even worse, when new versions of OS X are released, sometimes they
> break HP drivers, and HP is either very slow to update them, or
> refuses to  update them at all.

> Randy B. Singer
> Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (3rd, 4th, and 5th editions)
>
> Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
> http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

I have to argue with that. I have an HP6180 AIO and it works
perfectly under OS10.4.8! I have it on a wireless network and all
computers can print to it, G4s and Intels. The only problem is that I
can't scan to the G4 tower because it has no airport card and is
connected to the router via e-net. The AIO has e-net, USB, and
wireless capabilities built in.

John

--

There are three kinds of people.