[X-Newbies] Keeping aps from automatically calling home

Peter Saint James peterstj at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 11 07:37:27 PST 2007

	Quite a number of applications are set to automatically go on-line
to do things like check for updates.  Sometimes this amounts to no
more than presenting me with an ad.  Often it's a hassle.  I don't
like it.  I don't want anything on the system to access the internet
in any way automatically except the clock.

	I thought there was a setting somewhere in system preferences to
keep this from happening, but I can't find it.  Does such a
preference exist?  Or is there some other way to keep apps from
calling home?

	TIA.

							Peter