[X-Newbies] shut off tool tips

Peter Saint James peterstj at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 28 10:24:21 PST 2007

On 24 Jan 2007, at 6:06 PM, Rob Griffiths wrote:

> On Jan 24, 2007, at 1:09 PM, Peter Saint James wrote:
>
>> 	Tool tips (the little flags that appear when the cursor touches a
>> particular item) are handy sometimes but they get in the way.  Is
>> there a way to shut them off in apps like Mail, Stickies, iMovie,
>> and others?  I find nothing in preferences for these apps.
>
> I'm not aware of any way to just disable them, but there are some
> preferences that control how they work -- they're listed in this
> tip on the macosxhints site:
>
>   http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20061107125819464

	Thank you, Rob.  This helps some.  It's a good article.

	The method described evidently affects all or most apps.  With some
of them, tool tips are helpful; I don't want to lose them or delay them.

	It seems odd that there is no way to easily turn them off and back
on again.  In some apps, like iMovie, they really get in the way.
You can't see what you're doing.  Some are so basic that it's a bit
idiotic to have them anyway.  If, however, I don't use an app for a
while, I might like them on to refresh my memory.

	I wonder what the thinking was to not include this in preferences.

								Peter