[X-Newbies] Re: Questions re: Classic, Applications folder, firewall, faxing

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Sat Jun 2 01:14:26 PDT 2007

> From: "Randy B. Singer" <randy at macattorney.com>
>
>> Application-installed files are fine. What I meant was that you
>> should not PUT things in the Application Folder that don't belong
>> there,
>
> Maybe you know something that I don't.  What sorts of things,
> exactly, is it a bad idea to put in the Application Folder?

It's a bad idea to put anything in the Application folder that an
installer did not put there, or that is not an Application.

That's why they call it ... wait for it ... the Application folder.

Putting non-application stuff in there is bad because:
1. You're not putting it where it actually goes. Mac OS X has a place
for Documents, Pictures, Movies, Music and other files, and the
Application folder is not this place.

2. In many cases, you'll be asked for an admin password if you want
to move non-apps to the Application folder. That will get old REAL FAST.

3. Some Applications depend on certain files/folders being where the
installer put them. iPhoto, for example, automatically looks in the
pictures folder for pictures. It won't look in the Application
folder. Likewise, moving support files and preferences to the
Application folder (to "keep things together" and yes I've seen this)
causes files to stop working.

4. One of the best reasons to put things where they are supposed to
go ... if we have to do Data Recovery because you didn't back up and
the HD failed, it is HUGELY helpful to look for your precious baby
pictures WHERE THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE rather than sift through
literally HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of file fragments.

I suppose no actual HARM will come to you if you put your Word files
in the Application folder. It's just a dumb thing to do, since it
actively involves CIRCUMVENTING the system and the software's natural
settings. The phrase "asking for trouble" springs to mind.

> I find this even more intriguing.  Which applications, exactly, will
> cause problems if you move them out of the Applications folder?

FAR too many to list here. Many will stop working outright. Some will
work fine, but many won't. NONE of Apple's apps that are moved
outside the Applications folder will be "seen" by software update,
and thus won't get updated.

Most people who are dumb enough to move apps outside their designated
folder put them on the desktop. This is THE WORST thing you could do!

1. The apps will no longer be seen (or usable) by other accounts.
2. The Desktop has special permissions not shared by other
directories. Putting stuff out there causes permission problems.
3. The Desktop is constantly redrawn. The more stuff you put out
there*, the slower the machine gets and the faster the directory gets
corrupted.
4. Most backup programs look for certain folders to back up (Apple's
own Backup is a good example). If you move the files from where they
are supposed to be, Backup can't do its thing and the files are not
backed up.
5. Keeping real things out on the desktop makes it too easy for
people to carelessly delete them. We hear this literally EVERY DAY at
our shop.

*alias, smart folders and suchlike are pointers, not actual files,
and are perfectly fine to keep on the desktop if you want.

You can test this for yourself. Make a copy of any folder you have
that has hundreds (or more) files in it. Put that copy on the desktop.
Now time how fast the folder opens versus how fast the folder NOT on
the desktop opens. Multiply this result times the GIGS of data we
routinely see people put on the desktop and you'll start to get the
picture.

I am a certified Apple Tech at an Apple Authorised Repair Centre. The
above reflects my experience for as long as I've been working with OS
X (since day one, basically). You don't have to believe me if you
don't want to, but as the old saying goes, "pay me now ... or pay me
later."

Most Macs we see in our shop are the victim of Bad Practices.
Directory corruption IS A RESULT of some of the above practices.

> I'm really interested if there is more to this than that.

Those were some AWFULLY significant "aside from's" you listed, that
in aggregate would SEVERELY hamper the experience and smooth
functioning of a Mac. Add my list to that, and a clear pattern starts
to emerge: Apple only imposes a light organisational structure on
users, but it does so NOT for aesthetic reasons (Steve can't stand a
messy desktop!), but for SOUND PRACTICAL reasons.

Cheers
Chas