[X-Newbies] Re: Repair Manuals For eMacs

tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au
Sun May 13 20:12:01 PDT 2007

> > Got me to thinking: Is there a recommended site for online manuals
> > for taking apart and repairing my eMac?

> I do this for a living, and I'd just like to tell you as emphatically
> as I know how:
> YOU DON'T WANT TO DO THAT.
>
> You really, really, REALLY don't want to start crawling around inside
> an eMac. It's not pretty.
>
> Seriously. You don't want to do that. As you (hopefully) will see if
> and when you get the manuals or online guides.
>
> Cheers
> Chas

Chas,
Looking at the instructions for taking apart an eMac I can see some potential pitfalls that someone who is not very methodical may well find very problematic, but the instructions are clear and so long as obvious dangers such as electrical discharge are handled with caution it all seems straight forward. (I am the sort to put screws in labeled saucers etc, labeling parts, laying them all out in a logical sequence on a table etc), so I usually have less difficulty than many do when making home repairs to complex equipment.

Having said that it does appear to be less simple than dismantling the iBook.

I am curious, considering your strong and obviously experienced recommendation not to do this, why you think so.

Is it just that because the eMac is physically larger it makes for more difficulties? Is the CRT and the dangers associated with voltage your concern? Do you think it more difficult than an iBook to take apart? Are there parts and situations inside that simply do not match the neat descriptions and photos of the manual? Or is it just that you have seen many sloppy workers who got one half apart and then brought it to you to figure out the rest?

Tony Johansen
http://www.tonyjohansen.com
A Life Of Art