[X-Newbies] Hard Drive Backup Questions

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Tue Nov 27 18:15:17 PST 2007

On Nov 27, 2007, at 2:15 PM, Thomas McDermott Jr wrote:

>    Just curious about creating backups as mentioned below.  If I
> "clone" my macbook drive onto an external drive will it preserve my
> Itunes playlists and ratings or would those have to be recreated?

Ideally, if you use good cloning software, your clone will (just as
it sounds) be identical to the original in every way.

There is some controversy about the importance of metadata and if a
clone that has not preserved metadata is a good clone.  See:
http://blog.plasticsfuture.org/2006/04/23/mac-backup-software-harmful/

That article is now somewhat out of date.  SuperDuper! is now not the
only cloning program that preserves metadata.  I know that since that
article was written, Prosoft's Data Backup 3 now preserves metadata.
There is an all-new version of Carbon Copy Cloner, that does "block-
level disk-to-disk clones" and reportedly it preserves all metadata.

Randy B. Singer

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html