[X-Newbies] G4/AGP and 160Gig Drives

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Thu Oct 11 08:54:37 PDT 2007

On Thursday  Oct 11, 2007, at 3:05 AM, Chris wrote:

> I have a G4 Sawtooth which I'm looking to use as a small backup
> server.
> I've been offered a 160gig Maxtor ATA133 which seems to fit the bill,
> but I'm told there may be problems with any drive which is more
> than 128Gig.
>
> It may be this limitation was removed with OSX 10.3 and up (I'm on
> 10.4.10) but has anybody any experience with this?

The limiting factor isn't the version of OS X that you have, it is
your Mac's ROM's.

Older Mac's ROM's only support 32-bit LBA (Logical Block Addressing),
and support of greater than 128 GB for internal hard drives requires
48-bit LBA and OS X 10.2 or later.
http://www.lowendmac.com/macdan/05/1024.html
Mirrored drive doors G4's and later (and 2002 QuickSilvers too) can
do 48-bit logical block addressing.  Earlier Macs cannot.

There are three ways you can access the full capacity of an internal
drive over 128GB if your model of Mac doesn't natively support 48-bit
LBA.

1)You can use a third-party (non-Apple) software driver
or
2)You can install a PCI card to give you a 48-bit internal IDE bus
(on tower Mac models that can use PCI cards)
or
3)You could put your drive into a FireWire hard drive case kit
(assuming that the kit uses a recent FireWire to IDE bridge chip.)

Note that partitioning your hard drive will _not_ allow you to access
more than a total of 128GB.

Intech's ATA Hi-Cap Support Driver software ($25) allows the use of
extended capacity ATA drives (drives greater than 128 Gigabytes in
size) on older (Pre-Mirrored Door) G4 and some G3 Macintoshes running
MacOS X versions 10.2 and later.
http://www.speedtools.com/ATA6.shtml

OWC includes the ATA Hi-Cap Support Driver for only $15 if you
purchase a drive from them:
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Intech%20USA/SPEEDHCCD/

Some Mac-compatible UATA/100 PCI cards can support 48-bit LBA, and,
to my knowledge, *all* Mac-compatible UATA/133 PCI cards support this
feature as well.  Sonnet's Tempo UATA/100 supports 48-bit LBA.

SIIG has a Mac compatible ATA/133 PCI card available for $68 with
free shipping from Buy.com if you want to upgrade to be able to
access your drive's extra capacity.
<http://www.buy.com/prod/SIIG_Storage_controller_ATA_133_133_MBps_PCI/
q/loc/101/10325653.html>
(This is the best deal on a Mac-compatible UATA/133 card that I've
seen.)
The SIIG card supports 48-bit LBA.

Randy B. Singer

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance