[X-Newbies] Little Snitch and VPN

Chris chris at mymac.demon.co.uk
Sun Feb 3 02:44:16 PST 2008

Hi all:

This is not really a newbie question but I'd be grateful if someone
could help.

I regularly use a VPN to connect back to my home machine from my MBk
Pro. As part of my security I have started to use Little Snitch to
monitor outgoing connections.

So, I VPN back home using IPSecuritas with no problem. I then use:
Finder -> GO -> afp://10.0.0.x to mount the remote disk. Note the IP on
the laptop is not on the same subnet as the home machine (its:
10.0.1.X). The disk fails to mount, since it appears the connection is
blocked by Snitch.  There is no alert so I don't know *exactly* what is
being blocked - ports, IP or what.  Switch Snitch off (= allow all
outgoing) and it connects and mounts OK, so the problem is obviously
with Snitch.

So here are the questions (at last!):-

Which ports does AFP use to connect via the VPN tunnel? Is afp agent the
system call involved and where would I find it so I can include it on
the Snitch allowed list?

Although IPSec is assigning an IP address to the MBk, (10.0.1.X), is
this what my home machine is seeing through the tunnel,or does it see
the remote external address?

Any help appreciated.

Chris