[X-Newbies] Backing Up Files

Mark Gibson gibsonm at bigpond.net.au
Sun Jun 29 18:01:31 PDT 2008

Chris,

I'd suggest using a cron task since the use of
"rsync" implies you are happy with UNIX.

Regards,

Mark

At 10:48 AM +1000 30/6/08, Christopher Collins wrote:
>OK, so maybe I will use this list, This is a bit of a newbie question.
>
>I need to backup 2 hard disks to a single hard
>disk for a client. We have looked at all the
>backup programs and have settled on rsync
>because it will give us a readable copy of the
>files that we need to backup.
>
>Now in Windows, I would create a batch file with
>the command I want and then use the inbuilt
>scheduler to run it at a specified time.
>
>How do I do the same on a Mac? The OS is Mac OS
>X Server 10.4.11 and the backup is from 2
>internal hard disks to an external hard disk.
>
>We wanna run the "batch file" at 10pm at night
>every weekday. Not sure if this will be helpful,
>but the command lines will probably be:
>
>rsync -auv /Volumes/Storage_1 /Volumes/External_1/Storage_1
>rsync -auv /Volumes/Storage_2 /Volumes/External_1/Storage_2
>
>If someone can give me some ideas about how to
>get pointed in the right direction with a basic
>idea, I can go and do some more searching.....
>
>Thanks everyone!
>
>cjc

Regards,

Mark (}-:
+61 (0)4 1927 7198
Skype / AIM / iChat: gibsonm1

"To begin with, we simply couldn't do what we
wanted to do on Windows© machines, even today,
without undue hardship in terms of flexibility
and ease of use." -- Dirk Van Dall, Showtime
Networks, Inc.